Saturday 17 March 2012

Playing around with fabric design

I have always had an interest in fabric design and printing, but unfortunately missed my opportunity to follow this path earlier in my life.  I would love to go back to school to study, but instead I have been doing a little playing around with images for pleasure.  

A few years ago I discovered a company based in America called Spoonflower, that provide a service to enable you to create fabric, with your own designs without having too commit yourself to spending large amount of money.  I loved this idea, and it has been at the back of my mind since.

But, where do you start?  I have many sketches of images I think I might like to use at some point, but wasn't sure how to create a design from them, and then I came across this book.

by Laurie Wisbrun
Oh how I love it.  Not only does it gives detailed and step by step tutorials, showing you how to design patterns both by hand and digitally, it gives an insight into different printing methods, has fabulous images, interviews with designers and feels lovely to the touch!

So, with my book by my side, I started exploring Photoshop and Illustrator (both of which I only have limited knowledge, and would have been totally lost without help from Google!!), and had a little play around.  This was the outcome:

I cleaned up the sketch that I had done  for the template for my Foxy Loxy cushion (a Christmas present I made for myself, upcycling two pairs of trousers my sister had given me!), which I later used on my Foxy Loxy Journals. 


I learnt how to create a straight block repeat pattern, and after having a play around with some colours, this is what I ended up with.



After I had done that I thought I'd have a go at a half-drop repeat, and found a pen drawing I'd done years ago, that I had used on a card design while I was making cards (as Foxy-S Designs!).



I'm really please with the outcome and I'm looking forward to creating something from them, although I haven't fully decided what yet.  I may have to make another Foxy Loxy cushion so the the original Foxy Loxy cushion doesn't get lonely!

What do you think?  Washbags?  Cushions?

3 comments:

Georgia Coote said...

Your designs look wonderful - I've been hankering after that book, I may just have to buy it!x

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

They're absolutely gorgeous. I loved hearing about your learning process too - so interesting.

Thank you so much, too, for contacting me about the problem with Blogger - I'm unsure what's the problem, but have contacted them via Twitter...but thus far they've been unresponsive, but I really appreciate you letting me know.

x

Paint Pots and Petals said...

Really impressed, you should make a bag so that your gorgeous material get seen by many peeps. xx